Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 11:45 am
Cardinals are finally Pittsburgh-West -- maybe even better?
He also has a son, Chris, who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams. You know, the same Rams who the Cardinals are facing Thursday night.
As a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Long was asked about his thoughts on the Cardinals, who have started the season with a surprising 4-0 record.
"I've been saying this for about two, three years, obviously with a son in the division," Long said. "Please God, don't let them get a quarterback.
"They get a quarterback, it's a problem."
Long admits the verdict is still out on Kevin Kolb as a true NFL starter, but the real reason the Cards are winning games is because of their defense.
The Cardinals are third in the NFL in points allowed, giving up an average of 15.3 per game. They're also tied for second in the league with 14 sacks.
Those numbers are not unlike what one would traditionally find in Pittsburgh, which is the team Arizona has been trying to emulate since hiring Ken Whisenhunt in 2007.
"Arizona looks to me more like a young Pittsburgh," Long said. "Probably more athletic up front. I know they're more athletic up front."
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.