Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 11:45 am
Cardinals are finally Pittsburgh-West -- maybe even better?
He also has a son, Chris, who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams. You know, the same Rams who the Cardinals are facing Thursday night.
As a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Long was asked about his thoughts on the Cardinals, who have started the season with a surprising 4-0 record.
"I've been saying this for about two, three years, obviously with a son in the division," Long said. "Please God, don't let them get a quarterback.
"They get a quarterback, it's a problem."
Long admits the verdict is still out on Kevin Kolb as a true NFL starter, but the real reason the Cards are winning games is because of their defense.
The Cardinals are third in the NFL in points allowed, giving up an average of 15.3 per game. They're also tied for second in the league with 14 sacks.
Those numbers are not unlike what one would traditionally find in Pittsburgh, which is the team Arizona has been trying to emulate since hiring Ken Whisenhunt in 2007.
"Arizona looks to me more like a young Pittsburgh," Long said. "Probably more athletic up front. I know they're more athletic up front."
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd named to Sports Illustrated's All-Breakout Team
- Panel ranks Arizona Cardinals' Bruce Arians as the NFL's 13th-best head coach
- The Pulse: Most fans not very concerned with the Arizona Cardinals' preseason loss to the Cincinnati Bengals
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.