Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 11:45 am
Cardinals are finally Pittsburgh-West -- maybe even better?
He also has a son, Chris, who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams. You know, the same Rams who the Cardinals are facing Thursday night.
As a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Long was asked about his thoughts on the Cardinals, who have started the season with a surprising 4-0 record.
"I've been saying this for about two, three years, obviously with a son in the division," Long said. "Please God, don't let them get a quarterback.
"They get a quarterback, it's a problem."
Long admits the verdict is still out on Kevin Kolb as a true NFL starter, but the real reason the Cards are winning games is because of their defense.
The Cardinals are third in the NFL in points allowed, giving up an average of 15.3 per game. They're also tied for second in the league with 14 sacks.
Those numbers are not unlike what one would traditionally find in Pittsburgh, which is the team Arizona has been trying to emulate since hiring Ken Whisenhunt in 2007.
"Arizona looks to me more like a young Pittsburgh," Long said. "Probably more athletic up front. I know they're more athletic up front."
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.