Updated Oct 3, 2012 - 11:45 am
Cardinals are finally Pittsburgh-West -- maybe even better?
He also has a son, Chris, who plays defensive end for the St. Louis Rams. You know, the same Rams who the Cardinals are facing Thursday night.
As a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf, Long was asked about his thoughts on the Cardinals, who have started the season with a surprising 4-0 record.
"I've been saying this for about two, three years, obviously with a son in the division," Long said. "Please God, don't let them get a quarterback.
"They get a quarterback, it's a problem."
Long admits the verdict is still out on Kevin Kolb as a true NFL starter, but the real reason the Cards are winning games is because of their defense.
The Cardinals are third in the NFL in points allowed, giving up an average of 15.3 per game. They're also tied for second in the league with 14 sacks.
Those numbers are not unlike what one would traditionally find in Pittsburgh, which is the team Arizona has been trying to emulate since hiring Ken Whisenhunt in 2007.
"Arizona looks to me more like a young Pittsburgh," Long said. "Probably more athletic up front. I know they're more athletic up front."
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!