Updated Oct 7, 2012 - 10:38 am
Cardinals' Daryl Washington a rising star
But in spite of the poor offensive line play, non-existent run game and quarterback Kevin Kolb's inability to take advantage of offensive opportunities during the first half against the Rams, there was one standout in the team's first loss of 2012 -- linebacker Daryl Washington.
Washington, who recorded his team-leading fourth sack of the season against Sam Bradford and Co., has often been overshadowed by household names like Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson and Calais Campbell.
Well, not anymore.
According to ProFootballFocus, not only did the third-year pro from TCU account for half of Arizona's total pressures (6) against Bradford, but his statistical run defense grade for the season is right on par with the elite middle linebackers in the NFL.
In addition to leading the team in sacks, the former second round pick also leads the way with 39 total tackles.
Cardinal fans won't have to worry about Washington fleeing for other pastures any time soon. The heart of the Arizona defense is under team control until 2017, after signing a six-year extension in September.
- Cardinals announce 'Protect the Nest' ticket plans
- ESPN's future power rankings place Arizona Cardinals 16th in NFL, last in NFC West
- Patrick Peterson ranked below Richard Sherman, but Antonio Cromartie also on list of best CBs
- The Pulse: Ellington most likely to be face of franchise among Valley's young talent
- NFL.com: Ellington could 'make the leap' in 2014
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday June 18Kurt Warner appears headed for the Cardinals' Ring of Honor.