Updated Oct 7, 2012 - 10:38 am
Cardinals' Daryl Washington a rising star
But in spite of the poor offensive line play, non-existent run game and quarterback Kevin Kolb's inability to take advantage of offensive opportunities during the first half against the Rams, there was one standout in the team's first loss of 2012 -- linebacker Daryl Washington.
Washington, who recorded his team-leading fourth sack of the season against Sam Bradford and Co., has often been overshadowed by household names like Darnell Dockett, Adrian Wilson and Calais Campbell.
Well, not anymore.
According to ProFootballFocus, not only did the third-year pro from TCU account for half of Arizona's total pressures (6) against Bradford, but his statistical run defense grade for the season is right on par with the elite middle linebackers in the NFL.
In addition to leading the team in sacks, the former second round pick also leads the way with 39 total tackles.
Cardinal fans won't have to worry about Washington fleeing for other pastures any time soon. The heart of the Arizona defense is under team control until 2017, after signing a six-year extension in September.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?