Updated Oct 8, 2012 - 12:14 pm
Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams out for season
Williams, who missed his entire rookie season due to a ruptured patellar tendon, will miss the remainder of his sophomore campaign due to a shoulder injury suffered in the team's 17-3 loss to the Rams last Thursday.
Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt announced the news at a press conference Monday.
"It's a tough thing for Ryan, we didn't think after the game that was going to be the case," Whisenhunt said. "But in getting the tests done on it and talking with the doctor [Sunday] it's something that's going to require surgery."
Whisenhunt said it won't cause any long-term issues for Williams.
"I feel horrible for Ryan but what I told Ryan when we sat down was that at least this time he won't have to deal with it through an offseason," Whisenhunt said. "He'll be able to go through the offseason program, he'll be able to go through practices."
Williams had gained just 164 yards on 58 carries this season. The Cardinals are already without Beanie Wells, so this news will put even further strain on a group of running backs that is already thin.
Odds are the Cardinals will now turn to some sort of "back-by-committee" approach, with LaRod Stephens-Howling, William Powell and Alfonso Smith all getting touches.
However, that does not mean the Cardinals won't look to maybe add someone else to the mix.
"We'll look and see, we'll explore options there," Whisenhunt said when asked where the team goes from here, noting the guys who are already on the roster. "We always look for opportunities."
The Cardinals currently rank 30th in the NFL in rushing, averaging just 2.7 yards per carry and 63.4 yards per game.
Arizona Sports' Kyndra de St. Aubin contributed to this report
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.