Updated Oct 11, 2012 - 3:14 pm
ESPN analyst: Cardinals can't be one-dimensional
ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski spoke with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo on Thursday to give his take on what he thinks has gone wrong.
"You have to stay on schedule. In other words stay out of those known passing situations and stay in a manageable third down," said Jaworski. "Those have always been the keys in football. The defense gets the upper hand when they know you have to throw the football, when they know you become one-dimensional."
"When you can't run the football for four plus yards on first down and you get in those known passing situations and now you see the plethora of hybrid looks," said Jaworski. "The nickels, the dimes, the amoeba coverages, the radar defenses, all of these things are designed to not only break down the quarterbacks thought process but to break down the offensive line and the running backs' and the tight ends' protection scheme."
When the Cardinals are forced to throw the ball late in the game, the offensive line seems to fall apart. This became apparent in the Cardinals' Week 4 overtime win against the Miami Dolphins. Trailing late in the game, the Cardinals allowed five of their eight sacks in the fourth quarter. Similarly, the Cardinals allowed nine sacks against the St. Louis Rams last Thursday, with seven of them coming when Kolb started in shotgun.
"The accumulations of all these things lead to the performance of the last couple games," said Jaworksi. "Too often in the known passing situations you can tee off on the offensive line and then ultimately the quarterback."
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves