ESPN analyst: Cardinals can't be one-dimensional
ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski spoke with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo on Thursday to give his take on what he thinks has gone wrong.
"You have to stay on schedule. In other words stay out of those known passing situations and stay in a manageable third down," said Jaworski. "Those have always been the keys in football. The defense gets the upper hand when they know you have to throw the football, when they know you become one-dimensional."
"When you can't run the football for four plus yards on first down and you get in those known passing situations and now you see the plethora of hybrid looks," said Jaworski. "The nickels, the dimes, the amoeba coverages, the radar defenses, all of these things are designed to not only break down the quarterbacks thought process but to break down the offensive line and the running backs' and the tight ends' protection scheme."
When the Cardinals are forced to throw the ball late in the game, the offensive line seems to fall apart. This became apparent in the Cardinals' Week 4 overtime win against the Miami Dolphins. Trailing late in the game, the Cardinals allowed five of their eight sacks in the fourth quarter. Similarly, the Cardinals allowed nine sacks against the St. Louis Rams last Thursday, with seven of them coming when Kolb started in shotgun.
"The accumulations of all these things lead to the performance of the last couple games," said Jaworksi. "Too often in the known passing situations you can tee off on the offensive line and then ultimately the quarterback."
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.