Updated Oct 16, 2012 - 3:15 pm
Schefter: Kevin Kolb out for 'several weeks'
Tuesday morning, ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter tweeted out the bad news.
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb will be unable to play Sunday vs Minnesota and is expected to be out several weeks after he had multiple ribs detach from his sternum as well as suffering a sprained sternoclavicular joint in his chest area against the Buffalo Bills this past Sunday, according to a team source. Kolb has been battered in recent weeks, absorbing 23 sacks in the past three games alone.
Later in the afternoon CBS' Jason LaConfora reported that Kolb, while suffering the injury to his sternum, also sustained an injury to his shoulder, too. In all he'll be out at least six weeks.
Kevin Kolb's sternum and shoulder injuries will keep him out 6 weeks or more. Took a significant beating with poor OL and no run game.— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) October 16, 2012
That opens the door for John Skelton, who won the starting quarterback job in the preseason, to return to his position. Skelton relieved Kolb Sunday in the Cardinals' loss to Buffalo, completing 2-of-10 passes for 45 yards and an interception.
Skelton started the season opener against Seattle before leaving with an ankle injury that kept him sidelined for four games.
Kolb led the Cardinals to a 3-2 as a starter, completing 109-of-183 passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns and only three interceptions. The sixth-year pro is also the Cardinals' second-leading rusher with 100 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries.
Cardinal quarterbacks have been sacked a league-high 28 times in their first six games.
The Cardinals (4-2) visit the Minnesota Vikings Sunday.
- Karlos Dansby, Cleveland Browns linebacker - Wednesday March 12Cleveland Browns linebacker and former Arizona Cardinal Karlos Dansby discusses his signing with the
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Wednesday March 12Mark Schlereth of ESPN reacts to the early signings during NFL free agency.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals new left tackle - Wednesday March 12Jared Veldheer discusses his recent signing with the Cardinals.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.