Updated Oct 16, 2012 - 3:15 pm
Schefter: Kevin Kolb out for 'several weeks'
Tuesday morning, ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter tweeted out the bad news.
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb will be unable to play Sunday vs Minnesota and is expected to be out several weeks after he had multiple ribs detach from his sternum as well as suffering a sprained sternoclavicular joint in his chest area against the Buffalo Bills this past Sunday, according to a team source. Kolb has been battered in recent weeks, absorbing 23 sacks in the past three games alone.
Later in the afternoon CBS' Jason LaConfora reported that Kolb, while suffering the injury to his sternum, also sustained an injury to his shoulder, too. In all he'll be out at least six weeks.
Kevin Kolb's sternum and shoulder injuries will keep him out 6 weeks or more. Took a significant beating with poor OL and no run game.— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) October 16, 2012
That opens the door for John Skelton, who won the starting quarterback job in the preseason, to return to his position. Skelton relieved Kolb Sunday in the Cardinals' loss to Buffalo, completing 2-of-10 passes for 45 yards and an interception.
Skelton started the season opener against Seattle before leaving with an ankle injury that kept him sidelined for four games.
Kolb led the Cardinals to a 3-2 as a starter, completing 109-of-183 passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns and only three interceptions. The sixth-year pro is also the Cardinals' second-leading rusher with 100 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries.
Cardinal quarterbacks have been sacked a league-high 28 times in their first six games.
The Cardinals (4-2) visit the Minnesota Vikings Sunday.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.