Updated Oct 16, 2012 - 3:15 pm
Schefter: Kevin Kolb out for 'several weeks'
Tuesday morning, ESPN NFL insider Adam Schefter tweeted out the bad news.
Cardinals QB Kevin Kolb will be unable to play Sunday vs Minnesota and is expected to be out several weeks after he had multiple ribs detach from his sternum as well as suffering a sprained sternoclavicular joint in his chest area against the Buffalo Bills this past Sunday, according to a team source. Kolb has been battered in recent weeks, absorbing 23 sacks in the past three games alone.
Later in the afternoon CBS' Jason LaConfora reported that Kolb, while suffering the injury to his sternum, also sustained an injury to his shoulder, too. In all he'll be out at least six weeks.
Kevin Kolb's sternum and shoulder injuries will keep him out 6 weeks or more. Took a significant beating with poor OL and no run game.— Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) October 16, 2012
That opens the door for John Skelton, who won the starting quarterback job in the preseason, to return to his position. Skelton relieved Kolb Sunday in the Cardinals' loss to Buffalo, completing 2-of-10 passes for 45 yards and an interception.
Skelton started the season opener against Seattle before leaving with an ankle injury that kept him sidelined for four games.
Kolb led the Cardinals to a 3-2 as a starter, completing 109-of-183 passes for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns and only three interceptions. The sixth-year pro is also the Cardinals' second-leading rusher with 100 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries.
Cardinal quarterbacks have been sacked a league-high 28 times in their first six games.
The Cardinals (4-2) visit the Minnesota Vikings Sunday.
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.