Bird Bits: Peterson, Vikings hand Cardinals third straight loss
LaRod Stephens-Howling had a career day, rushing for a 104 yards to go along with 45 receiving yards and the Cardinals' lone rushing touchdown.
The defense did allow 21 points for just the second time this season (although seven of which came from the Vikings' defense), but they bothered Christian Ponder all day, intercepting him twice and allowing him to complete just eight passes for 58 yards.
John Skelton was much more accurate in Week 7 than his previous stint against the Bills, but a costly interception by Hunter Smith gave the Vikings enough breathing room to coast to a comfortable victory in the second half.
The Cardinals' defense limited Ponder, but could not contain running back Adrian Peterson. The perennial all-pro back ran for 153 yards and a touchdown.
Jay Feely's 47-yard miss to end the first half marked the third time in as many games that he's missed on an attempt.
One of the Cardinals' best scoring chances in the second half was stalled at the Minnesota 18-yard line, when Ken Whisenhunt elected to go for it on fourth down rather than have Feely attempt at 35-yard attempt. Skelton was promptly sacked by Antoine Winfield when he attempted to run for the first down.
• The Cardinals' three-game losing streak is the team's longest since they dropped six straight in 2011.
• Sunday's loss marks the eighth straight time the Cardinals' franchise has dropped a road game in Minnesota. Their last win was in 1977.
• Larry Fitzgerald's homecoming wasn't much fun for the ninth-year pro. He had just four catches for 29 yards.
• The Cardinals entered Sunday allowing the most sacks of any team in the NFL. The offensive line gave up seven more sacks against the Vikings in Week 7 and now have allowed 29 over their last four games.
Coming Up Next:
The Cardinals limp into next week's Monday Night Football showdown at University of Phoenix Stadium with the NFC West leading San Francisco 49ers. Monday's contest will begin at 5:30 p.m.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.