Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 7:39 pm
Campbell: Not sure where hatred for 49ers came from, but it's a good thing
Hours after telling SiriusXM NFL Radio that he hates the San Francisco 49ers with a passion, the fifth-year pro was asked to explain those comments in greater detail on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf.
The Cardinals defensive end didn't backtrack either, in fact he was more than happy to oblige.
"I don't know where [the hatred] came from, but it's definitely there," Campbell said. "It's been there since I got here in 2008. I remember playing the 49ers in Week 1 in 2008 and all the guys on the team just talked about how bad they hated the 49ers. It's grown for me from there."
While the former second round pick couldn't recall a specific instance within the white lines that has contributed to his growing hatred for the guys in scarlet and gold, the head-to-head matchups might explain the public disdain.
Since Campbell's rookie season in 2008, the Cardinals are just 3-5 against their NFC West rivals. Of the five losses, four have come by at least 15 points.
Heading into Monday night's pivotal prime time showdown with San Francisco, Campbell said the hatred might be a good thing. Given the Cardinals' current three-game losing streak, a big game against a common foe might be just what the doctor ordered.
"I can't wait to get out their Monday night," said Campbell. "The way the season has gone for us so far, this is a great opportunity for us. Because, we have to get back on our feet.
"We are on a three-game slide and those things suck. But Monday night against a divisional rival and a team that we hate, this is the best way to get back up on our feet right here. I'm looking forward to it."
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?