Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 7:39 pm
Campbell: Not sure where hatred for 49ers came from, but it's a good thing
Hours after telling SiriusXM NFL Radio that he hates the San Francisco 49ers with a passion, the fifth-year pro was asked to explain those comments in greater detail on Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf.
The Cardinals defensive end didn't backtrack either, in fact he was more than happy to oblige.
"I don't know where [the hatred] came from, but it's definitely there," Campbell said. "It's been there since I got here in 2008. I remember playing the 49ers in Week 1 in 2008 and all the guys on the team just talked about how bad they hated the 49ers. It's grown for me from there."
While the former second round pick couldn't recall a specific instance within the white lines that has contributed to his growing hatred for the guys in scarlet and gold, the head-to-head matchups might explain the public disdain.
Since Campbell's rookie season in 2008, the Cardinals are just 3-5 against their NFC West rivals. Of the five losses, four have come by at least 15 points.
Heading into Monday night's pivotal prime time showdown with San Francisco, Campbell said the hatred might be a good thing. Given the Cardinals' current three-game losing streak, a big game against a common foe might be just what the doctor ordered.
"I can't wait to get out their Monday night," said Campbell. "The way the season has gone for us so far, this is a great opportunity for us. Because, we have to get back on our feet.
"We are on a three-game slide and those things suck. But Monday night against a divisional rival and a team that we hate, this is the best way to get back up on our feet right here. I'm looking forward to it."
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.