Updated Oct 25, 2012 - 3:42 pm
ESPN's Clayton: Kevin Kolb's contract one of the worst in NFL
In 15 games as a Cardinal (14 starts), Kolb has completed 58.5 percent of his passes while throwing for 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He's lost 10 fumbles and been sacked 57 times. The Cardinals are 6-8 in games he's started.
In short, whether by injury or lack of production, Kolb has not been what the Cardinals were hoping for when they made the trade, and his struggles combined with hefty paycheck have landed him on a list created by ESPN's John Clayton of the 'Worst NFL contracts'. The signal caller comes in fourth, trailing Tennessee's Chris Johnson, Philadelphia's Michael Vick and New York's Mark Sanchez.
Kevin Kolb, QB, Arizona Cardinals (six years, $62.1 million): The Cardinals felt so good about this deal that they stalked Peyton Manning with the idea of upgrading at quarterback. Kolb has looked no better than a backup. He's battled enough injuries that players question his toughness. John Skelton beat out Kolb for the starting job, and even though Kolb was 3-2 filling in for him, Skelton seems to be the better option for the Cardinals.
Clayton, a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, expanded on his reasoning for including Kolb, saying he understood why the team made the trade and signing at the time.
"If you're five years, $62 million dollars and you're not playing, or if you are playing you're hurt, or if you are playing you look more like the backup than the starter, well naturally you're going to be on that list," Clayton said. "This is not an indictment of the team because remember, there's only a couple ways that you can get quarterbacks.
Kolb is currently sidelined with rib and shoulder injuries.
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?