ESPN's Clayton: Kevin Kolb's contract one of the worst in NFL
In 15 games as a Cardinal (14 starts), Kolb has completed 58.5 percent of his passes while throwing for 17 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He's lost 10 fumbles and been sacked 57 times. The Cardinals are 6-8 in games he's started.
In short, whether by injury or lack of production, Kolb has not been what the Cardinals were hoping for when they made the trade, and his struggles combined with hefty paycheck have landed him on a list created by ESPN's John Clayton of the 'Worst NFL contracts'. The signal caller comes in fourth, trailing Tennessee's Chris Johnson, Philadelphia's Michael Vick and New York's Mark Sanchez.
Kevin Kolb, QB, Arizona Cardinals (six years, $62.1 million): The Cardinals felt so good about this deal that they stalked Peyton Manning with the idea of upgrading at quarterback. Kolb has looked no better than a backup. He's battled enough injuries that players question his toughness. John Skelton beat out Kolb for the starting job, and even though Kolb was 3-2 filling in for him, Skelton seems to be the better option for the Cardinals.
Clayton, a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday, expanded on his reasoning for including Kolb, saying he understood why the team made the trade and signing at the time.
"If you're five years, $62 million dollars and you're not playing, or if you are playing you're hurt, or if you are playing you look more like the backup than the starter, well naturally you're going to be on that list," Clayton said. "This is not an indictment of the team because remember, there's only a couple ways that you can get quarterbacks.
Kolb is currently sidelined with rib and shoulder injuries.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.