Updated Oct 26, 2012 - 3:15 pm
Warner: Manning 'would have struggled' with Cardinals
Former Cardinals quarterback and NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Friday that he thinks Manning is playing great football, but he may not have done so for the Cardinals.
"I think he would have been successful to a degree, but we got to be realistic," Warner said. "When you are getting hit and sacked and quick pressure like the quarterbacks here, it is going to be tough for anybody to succeed at an extremely high level."
The Cardinals have given up a league-worst 35 sacks and their quarterbacks seem to be running for their lives every play.
"He would have struggled like any quarterback due to the number of pressures and quick pressure that the Cardinals' offensive line has given up this year," Warner said.
Manning has been impressive in his first season with the Broncos. The veteran ranks second in the league with a passer rating of 105.0 and is tied for fourth with 14 touchdown passes.
"I don't think there is any way he would have been as successful (in Arizona) as he is going to be somewhere else where the offensive line is better," Warner said.
However even though Manning may not have been as individually successful in Arizona, Warner thinks the team would have benefited from having the four-time MVP.
"With the way the defense was playing, do I believe that Peyton Manning could have manufactured some points and win some of these games that he didn't win? Yeah," Warner said.
Cardinals quarterbacks have not been impressive so far this season.
Kevin Kolb and John Skelton average just 196 passing yards per game and have a total of only six passing touchdowns.
"Peyton Manning is Peyton Manning, he would have been more successful than what they have here because he is a great quarterback," Warner said.
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.