Updated Nov 1, 2012 - 5:50 pm
Calais Campbell: Cardinals can beat anyone if they get off to a fast start
The veteran defensive end of course talked about trying to make the two-time Pro Bowler uncomfortable in the pocket, while also working to limit his play-making abilities outside it, but in Campbell's mind, the best defense Sunday might be a quick start from the offense.
"I think if we can get a lead, we can beat anyone in my opinion," Campbell said. "As a team, I think we play much better with a lead than we do from behind."
Leads have been hard to come by for the Cardinals during their current four-game losing streak. In fact, Arizona hasn't led at any point over the last two weeks and last held a lead late in the third quarter of their Week 6 overtime loss to Buffalo.
"Our goal is to get up on teams," said Campbell. "And from there, play our hearts out and leave it on the field."
The problem heading into Green Bay this weekend is that rarely have Campbell's teammates on the offensive side of the football given the defense much to work with early in games in 2012.
Through the first eight weeks, Arizona's offense is averaging just four points per game in the first quarter and has reached the end zone just twice.
That fast start may also be hard to come by Sunday at historic Lambeau Field. While the Packers' defense has been susceptible in the second half of games this season, the unit has allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
In a battle of weakness against strength, Campbell and Co. might need a better game plan against the reigning MVP, as a heavy reliance on a fast-starting offense might be an unrealistic expectation Sunday.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.