Updated Nov 1, 2012 - 5:50 pm
Calais Campbell: Cardinals can beat anyone if they get off to a fast start
The veteran defensive end of course talked about trying to make the two-time Pro Bowler uncomfortable in the pocket, while also working to limit his play-making abilities outside it, but in Campbell's mind, the best defense Sunday might be a quick start from the offense.
"I think if we can get a lead, we can beat anyone in my opinion," Campbell said. "As a team, I think we play much better with a lead than we do from behind."
Leads have been hard to come by for the Cardinals during their current four-game losing streak. In fact, Arizona hasn't led at any point over the last two weeks and last held a lead late in the third quarter of their Week 6 overtime loss to Buffalo.
"Our goal is to get up on teams," said Campbell. "And from there, play our hearts out and leave it on the field."
The problem heading into Green Bay this weekend is that rarely have Campbell's teammates on the offensive side of the football given the defense much to work with early in games in 2012.
Through the first eight weeks, Arizona's offense is averaging just four points per game in the first quarter and has reached the end zone just twice.
That fast start may also be hard to come by Sunday at historic Lambeau Field. While the Packers' defense has been susceptible in the second half of games this season, the unit has allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
In a battle of weakness against strength, Campbell and Co. might need a better game plan against the reigning MVP, as a heavy reliance on a fast-starting offense might be an unrealistic expectation Sunday.
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Arizona Cardinals 2014 Free Agent Headquarters
- Arizona Cardinals sign free agent tight end John Carlson
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!