Calais Campbell: Cardinals can beat anyone if they get off to a fast start
The veteran defensive end of course talked about trying to make the two-time Pro Bowler uncomfortable in the pocket, while also working to limit his play-making abilities outside it, but in Campbell's mind, the best defense Sunday might be a quick start from the offense.
"I think if we can get a lead, we can beat anyone in my opinion," Campbell said. "As a team, I think we play much better with a lead than we do from behind."
Leads have been hard to come by for the Cardinals during their current four-game losing streak. In fact, Arizona hasn't led at any point over the last two weeks and last held a lead late in the third quarter of their Week 6 overtime loss to Buffalo.
"Our goal is to get up on teams," said Campbell. "And from there, play our hearts out and leave it on the field."
The problem heading into Green Bay this weekend is that rarely have Campbell's teammates on the offensive side of the football given the defense much to work with early in games in 2012.
Through the first eight weeks, Arizona's offense is averaging just four points per game in the first quarter and has reached the end zone just twice.
That fast start may also be hard to come by Sunday at historic Lambeau Field. While the Packers' defense has been susceptible in the second half of games this season, the unit has allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
In a battle of weakness against strength, Campbell and Co. might need a better game plan against the reigning MVP, as a heavy reliance on a fast-starting offense might be an unrealistic expectation Sunday.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.