Updated Nov 1, 2012 - 5:50 pm
Calais Campbell: Cardinals can beat anyone if they get off to a fast start
The veteran defensive end of course talked about trying to make the two-time Pro Bowler uncomfortable in the pocket, while also working to limit his play-making abilities outside it, but in Campbell's mind, the best defense Sunday might be a quick start from the offense.
"I think if we can get a lead, we can beat anyone in my opinion," Campbell said. "As a team, I think we play much better with a lead than we do from behind."
Leads have been hard to come by for the Cardinals during their current four-game losing streak. In fact, Arizona hasn't led at any point over the last two weeks and last held a lead late in the third quarter of their Week 6 overtime loss to Buffalo.
"Our goal is to get up on teams," said Campbell. "And from there, play our hearts out and leave it on the field."
The problem heading into Green Bay this weekend is that rarely have Campbell's teammates on the offensive side of the football given the defense much to work with early in games in 2012.
Through the first eight weeks, Arizona's offense is averaging just four points per game in the first quarter and has reached the end zone just twice.
That fast start may also be hard to come by Sunday at historic Lambeau Field. While the Packers' defense has been susceptible in the second half of games this season, the unit has allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
In a battle of weakness against strength, Campbell and Co. might need a better game plan against the reigning MVP, as a heavy reliance on a fast-starting offense might be an unrealistic expectation Sunday.
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?