Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 11:14 am
Patrick Peterson wants to be 'bell cow' on defense
Last week, Peterson struggled against the San Francisco 49ers, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn't doubt Peterson's abilities or his progress.
"We put him in some tough spots," Whisenhunt said. "We've put him on their best player a lot of times this year. Having to flip sides and match up, it's put him in some tough spots."
Whisenhunt brings up a good point. Each week, Peterson is covering the No. 1 receiver for the opposing team. Braylon Edwards, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Percy Harvin and Michael Crabree, just to name a few.
Monday night in front of a national audience, Peterson allowed two touchdowns to Michael Crabtree and recorded only three tackles in the 24-3 loss. Despite the sub-par performance, Whisenhunt reiterated that Peterson won't back down.
"He's a competitor," said Whisenhunt. "He wants to be the bell cow for that position. He wants to be one of the best in the league, and he's working hard at it."
Speaking of working hard at it, Whisenhunt said Peterson knows what it takes on-and-off the field to become one of the best in this league.
"He's got all of that, good leadership ability," said Whisenhunt. "He's in here at 6 a.m. in the morning meeting with coach Cioffi, and they're working at it. He wants to be good, and he's driven."
Coming into the 2012 season, Peterson was expected by many to improve upon his stellar rookie year, when he recorded 64 tackles and two interceptions in 16 games. The 22-year-old may not be a shut-down corner yet, but he has the physical tools and the mental makeup to get there pretty quick.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?