Updated Nov 2, 2012 - 11:14 am
Patrick Peterson wants to be 'bell cow' on defense
Last week, Peterson struggled against the San Francisco 49ers, but head coach Ken Whisenhunt doesn't doubt Peterson's abilities or his progress.
"We put him in some tough spots," Whisenhunt said. "We've put him on their best player a lot of times this year. Having to flip sides and match up, it's put him in some tough spots."
Whisenhunt brings up a good point. Each week, Peterson is covering the No. 1 receiver for the opposing team. Braylon Edwards, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Percy Harvin and Michael Crabree, just to name a few.
Monday night in front of a national audience, Peterson allowed two touchdowns to Michael Crabtree and recorded only three tackles in the 24-3 loss. Despite the sub-par performance, Whisenhunt reiterated that Peterson won't back down.
"He's a competitor," said Whisenhunt. "He wants to be the bell cow for that position. He wants to be one of the best in the league, and he's working hard at it."
Speaking of working hard at it, Whisenhunt said Peterson knows what it takes on-and-off the field to become one of the best in this league.
"He's got all of that, good leadership ability," said Whisenhunt. "He's in here at 6 a.m. in the morning meeting with coach Cioffi, and they're working at it. He wants to be good, and he's driven."
Coming into the 2012 season, Peterson was expected by many to improve upon his stellar rookie year, when he recorded 64 tackles and two interceptions in 16 games. The 22-year-old may not be a shut-down corner yet, but he has the physical tools and the mental makeup to get there pretty quick.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.