Whisenhunt: Getting points early important for Cardinals
The Cardinals don't need to just score points. They need to score points early.
"[Getting points early] is good, especially when you are on the road," Whisenhunt said. "It's important. It's something we need to do more of, whether it's at home or away."
In eight games this season, the Cardinals have scored just 32 first quarter points. Of those 32, only 10 have come in games current starting quarterback John Skelton started behind center.
In fact, Skelton hasn't thrown a first quarter touchdown since Week 10 of last season against Philadelphia.
During the Cardinals' current four-game losing streak the team has managed a combined 13 points in 48 minutes of play.
"It gives you confidence," said Whisenhunt. "It gives your defense, I don't want to say confidence, but it gets them excited too.
It's been a while since Whisenhunt's squad has played winning football, but the head coach said he hopes the Cardinals' ability to move the football in a hostile environment against New England back in Week 2 serves as a reminder that it can be done again.
Arizona will have its hands full Sunday in Green Bay, though. Although not thought of as one of the league's most intimidating defenses, the Packers this season have allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.