Whisenhunt: Getting points early important for Cardinals
The Cardinals don't need to just score points. They need to score points early.
"[Getting points early] is good, especially when you are on the road," Whisenhunt said. "It's important. It's something we need to do more of, whether it's at home or away."
In eight games this season, the Cardinals have scored just 32 first quarter points. Of those 32, only 10 have come in games current starting quarterback John Skelton started behind center.
In fact, Skelton hasn't thrown a first quarter touchdown since Week 10 of last season against Philadelphia.
During the Cardinals' current four-game losing streak the team has managed a combined 13 points in 48 minutes of play.
"It gives you confidence," said Whisenhunt. "It gives your defense, I don't want to say confidence, but it gets them excited too.
It's been a while since Whisenhunt's squad has played winning football, but the head coach said he hopes the Cardinals' ability to move the football in a hostile environment against New England back in Week 2 serves as a reminder that it can be done again.
Arizona will have its hands full Sunday in Green Bay, though. Although not thought of as one of the league's most intimidating defenses, the Packers this season have allowed just two points per game in the first quarter.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.