Updated Nov 4, 2012 - 3:25 pm
Crabtree's catch, dropped passes hand Cardinals' their fifth straight loss
After putting together two scoring drives to whittle the Packers' double-digit lead down to just seven, it looked like Arizona still had a chance to pull off the road upset over the final 15 minutes of play.
But backup tight end Tom Crabtree and Aaron Rodgers had other ideas.
On the final play of the third quarter, Crabtree managed to somehow run his route well beyond Arizona's coverage. Rodgers promptly found him over the middle, and the third-year veteran quickly raced 72 yards towards the end zone to put the Packers on top 31-17.
The Cardinals still had 15 minutes on the clock to make a game of it, but the 72-yard touchdown pass virtually ended any threat of a comeback.
"You just can't let that happen," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said following the 31-17 loss. "We fought to get back in the game, and we had a little bit of momentum. In one play they go down the field and it makes it tough."
In addition to the big play given up by the defense, the offense didn't do John Skelton any favors on Sunday.
Despite being sacked only twice by Green Bay, Skelton was just 23-of-46, in large part due to six big drops by his receivers.
"It's very disappointing," said Whisenhunt of the drops. "It's very infuriating, because we had opportunities to keep drives alive. You can't do that, not on the road against a team like this. You've got to make those plays, and there is no excuse for it."
Arizona has plenty of time to work on fundamentals this week. The Cardinals head into their bye week, before going to Atlanta on Nov. 18 to face the undefeated Falcons.
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.