Updated Nov 7, 2012 - 1:21 pm
Time of the essence when Cardinals QBs drop back to pass
And now, due to the hard work by the folks at ProFootballFocus.com, we're aware of just how little time Arizona's passers have had to throw the football.
Now to explain what ‘time to throw' is, we record the time from when the ball is snapped to the point where the quarterback has either thrown a pass or can no longer throw a pass (has been sacked or scrambled past the line of scrimmage).
The piece, released Wednesday, shows Kolb, on 217 drop backs, has been given 2.84 seconds before he's gotten rid of the ball. Skelton, on 187 drop backs, has had 2.64 seconds.
However, that only takes into account the passes the quarterbacks got off. The site's research shows Kolb, who has been sacked 27 times this season, has had a league-worst 2.49 seconds from the time the ball was snapped to when he was dropped by a defender. Skelton, who has been taken down 14 times this season, has been given 2.64 seconds before a defender got to him.
So, what does this show? Besides the line apparently blocking marginally better for Skelton than Kolb, it makes one wonder how the injured Cardinals signal caller was even able to be as effective as he was, given the fact that he was under immediate pressure seemingly every time he dropped back to pass.
As ProFootballFocus put it, "Nobody warrants your sympathy more than Kevin Kolb who was not helped by a pass protection unit that saw his average sack coming within 2.3 seconds of the ball being snapped."
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.