Updated Nov 16, 2012 - 4:11 pm
Cardinals DC Horton knows Falcons QB presents great challenge
A huge reason for the Falcons' success and 8-1 start is quarterback Matt Ryan. Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton knows it will be a challenge for his players, and he talked about what makes Ryan so good.
"Accuracy and probably the word I use most after watching him, which I've never played him, is trust," Horton said Friday. "He trusts that whoever is going to be there is there. He throws guys open where when he throws the ball you're like ‘oh boy', and then all of a sudden wherever they say to be, they do so."
Ryan is fourth in the league in passer rating with a mark of 102.6, and owns a completion percentage of 68.4 this season.
According to Horton, Ryan's got all the skills a top-flight passer needs.
"Trust, his accuracy, arm strength, he can make all the throws, he can run, he gets them in the right (spot)," he said.
The Falcons' quarterback has never been successful in the postseason, but Horton doesn't think that means much.
"Probably the biggest knock on him, from what I hear, is he hasn't won a playoff game so that's why you don't talk about him like Aaron Rodgers or some other guys that have won deep into the playoffs," he said.
Ryan is also fortunate to have two of the best receivers in the game right now with Roddy White and Julio Jones. Jones did not practice this week with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable for Sunday.
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.