Cardinals DC Horton knows Falcons QB presents great challenge
A huge reason for the Falcons' success and 8-1 start is quarterback Matt Ryan. Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton knows it will be a challenge for his players, and he talked about what makes Ryan so good.
"Accuracy and probably the word I use most after watching him, which I've never played him, is trust," Horton said Friday. "He trusts that whoever is going to be there is there. He throws guys open where when he throws the ball you're like ‘oh boy', and then all of a sudden wherever they say to be, they do so."
Ryan is fourth in the league in passer rating with a mark of 102.6, and owns a completion percentage of 68.4 this season.
According to Horton, Ryan's got all the skills a top-flight passer needs.
"Trust, his accuracy, arm strength, he can make all the throws, he can run, he gets them in the right (spot)," he said.
The Falcons' quarterback has never been successful in the postseason, but Horton doesn't think that means much.
"Probably the biggest knock on him, from what I hear, is he hasn't won a playoff game so that's why you don't talk about him like Aaron Rodgers or some other guys that have won deep into the playoffs," he said.
Ryan is also fortunate to have two of the best receivers in the game right now with Roddy White and Julio Jones. Jones did not practice this week with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable for Sunday.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.