Updated Nov 16, 2012 - 4:11 pm
Cardinals DC Horton knows Falcons QB presents great challenge
A huge reason for the Falcons' success and 8-1 start is quarterback Matt Ryan. Arizona defensive coordinator Ray Horton knows it will be a challenge for his players, and he talked about what makes Ryan so good.
"Accuracy and probably the word I use most after watching him, which I've never played him, is trust," Horton said Friday. "He trusts that whoever is going to be there is there. He throws guys open where when he throws the ball you're like ‘oh boy', and then all of a sudden wherever they say to be, they do so."
Ryan is fourth in the league in passer rating with a mark of 102.6, and owns a completion percentage of 68.4 this season.
According to Horton, Ryan's got all the skills a top-flight passer needs.
"Trust, his accuracy, arm strength, he can make all the throws, he can run, he gets them in the right (spot)," he said.
The Falcons' quarterback has never been successful in the postseason, but Horton doesn't think that means much.
"Probably the biggest knock on him, from what I hear, is he hasn't won a playoff game so that's why you don't talk about him like Aaron Rodgers or some other guys that have won deep into the playoffs," he said.
Ryan is also fortunate to have two of the best receivers in the game right now with Roddy White and Julio Jones. Jones did not practice this week with an ankle injury and is listed as questionable for Sunday.
- The Pulse: Cardinals fans most excited to see division rivals
- A disappointed Darnell Dockett: Karlos Dansby 'chased the money'
- Arizona Cardinals 'bought right in' to offseason strength and conditioning program
- Arizona Cardinals' Dockett: 'Anything less than the playoffs is a failure'
- Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Thursday April 24What goes into the Cardinals’ draft preparation?
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.