Updated Nov 16, 2012 - 5:11 pm
Whisenhunt: Quentin Groves to have 'bigger role'
In their last game against the Green Bay Packers, the Cardinals lost outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield for the season with an ankle injury.
Schofield's absence will give back-up linebackers like Quentin Groves the opportunity to prove they are starter material.
"I think he has done a good job in what we have asked him to do and he contributed in a big area on special teams, which is what you have to do at that role," head coach Ken Whisenhunt said of Groves's play.
Groves, who was drafted in second round by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2008, is expected to get the majority of the playing time at Schofield's spot on Sunday.
"This week will be a little bit bigger for him because he will get more snaps and we will get a chance to see how he has adapted," Whisenhunt said. "To come in and learn this defense and play outside linebacker, that is what you work hard in the offseason to try to find guys who can do that, and he has done a good job of that so far."
Fourth year linebacker Jamaal Westerman and rookie Zack Nash might also see a jump in playing time with Schofield out.
"In this league you have to go in and play and you have to be successful with maybe not getting all the reps," Whisnehunt said. "When you are not the starter, that is what your job is. Hopefully those guys can do it.
"If you can do it in those situations, that's the guys that are going to get jobs, keep jobs and become better players. You work hard in the offseason to put players in position to do that and at some point you got to put them in there. You got to fish or cut bait."
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.