Updated Nov 18, 2012 - 9:50 pm
Jonathan Babineaux's touchdown looms large in Cardinals' loss
Sunday was no exception.
Although the Cardinals raced out to a 13-0 lead in the first quarter behind three interceptions, momentum was slowly shifting in the Falcons' direction midway through the second quarter.
On a third-and-2 from the Cardinals' 21-yard line, rookie Ryan Lindley went back to pass but was hit hard from behind by veteran defensive end John Abraham.
While Lindley's arm appeared to be moving forward, the ball squirted free to his right and was picked up without a fight by Atlanta's Jonathan Babineaux, who calmly raced 15 yards to the end zone for a defensive touchdown.
The touchdown cut the Cardinals' lead to 13-10, and the Falcons would go on to score 13 of the final 19 points in the contest for their ninth victory of the season.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt thought the play should have been ruled an incompletion not a fumble, but head referee Bill Vinovich disagreed.
"[Vinovich] said he didn't see it that way," Whisenhunt said. "To me the hand was moving forward when the ball came out. That's a rule that's been scrutinized in the NFL. It was a tight call."
What was most surprising about the play was that when the ball went to the Georgia Dome turf, not a single Arizona player made a move towards the ball.
"Multiple players told me they heard a whistle," said Whisenhunt. "It seemed like everybody stopped playing except for one or two guys. There were players running on the field from both sidelines. It was definitely a strange play."
Babineaux's touchdown was the second defensive score the Cardinals have given up during their six-game losing streak.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!