Updated Nov 23, 2012 - 1:06 pm
Ray Horton: Wilson's benching won't change his role with team
But even the five-time Pro Bowler is not immune to a demotion now and again.
Wilson, who has 34 tackles and an interception on the season, did not start in the Cardinals' 23-19 loss to Atlanta Falcons.
The 11-year veteran declined to comment after the game, saying little more than that the decision was not his to make.
Head coach Ken Whisenhunt later said the decision was made to improve pass coverage -- an area Wilson hasn't been extremely effective in this season -- and that overall he was pleased with the results (season-high five interceptions) against the Falcons.
Friday, defensive coordinator Ray Horton said the move was done for more reasons than just schematic purposes.
"Hopefully the message that's being sent to everybody is that's important to do your job and do your job well," Horton said. "When you're in there it's not a right, it's a privilege to be in there and play defense."
Despite the benching of his star safety to begin last Sunday's contest, Horton doesn't expect Wilson's role to change at all.
"We're just trying to tweak some things and get some guys some opportunities," said Horton. "So where does [Wilson] fit in? Right where he's been. He's one of the leaders of our team."
Rashad Johnson, who started in place of Wilson, made the most of his opportunities in Atlanta. The fourth-year safety intercepted Matt Ryan's first pass of the game, which set up the Cardinals' lone touchdown.
Wilson's consecutive start streak was actually snapped earlier this season, when injuries to his groin and ankle kept him from playing in Arizona's Week 3 win over Philadelphia.
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham's statement
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.