Updated Nov 26, 2012 - 11:58 am
Arizona Cardinals to stick with Ryan Lindley at quarterback
Two of the interceptions were returned for touchdowns, and while there were some positive moments, Lindley very much showed he is a work-in-progress as far as being ready to lead an NFL team.
However, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday if Kevin Kolb is unable to return from his injury Sunday, the former San Diego State signal caller will once again get the nod.
"We stay with Ryan," the coach said. "Let's start the thing off by saying you can't have those interceptions, but in the first half I thought that he did a really nice job.
"He moved in the pocket, was decisive, managed it, made some good throws."
Whisenhunt pointed to the team's three scoring drives in the first 30 minutes of football, which saw the Cardinals take a 17-14 lead into the intermission.
"I felt that we did a lot of good things," he said.
Things went south in the second half, though, as the Rams dialed up the pressure and made Lindley try to beat them with his arm.
That he couldn't Sunday is understandable, and the coach said no one was more upset about the mistakes than the quarterback himself.
"One of the things that you have to learn about a quarterback is that when you get into those heat of the moment type things how you've got to respond," Whisenhunt said.
The mistakes, the coach added, are just part of the growing pains, and it is important to see what Lindley does in a real game compared to just working in practice.
"You understand with a young player," he said. "Look, we've got a lot of young players that are playing. They make mistakes.
"Sometimes they're not magnified like they are with the quarterback because he's got the ball, and that's what he's got to understand."
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.