Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 10:53 am
Could Cardinals QB search lead to Alex Smith?
Wednesday ESPN's Adam Schefter suggested Michael Vick, and Thursday it was Alex Smith's turn to be mentioned as a possible target for Arizona.
"Arizona has a playoff-caliber defense, they have some parts on offense, they have as bad a quarterback situation as there is in the league," ESPN's Mike Greenberg said on Mike & Mike in the Morning. "If you're Ken Whisenhunt, are you calling Michael Vick or are you calling Alex Smith?"
Vick is in the middle of a poor season for the Philadelphia Eagles, as he's completing just 59 percent of his passes while throwing 11 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He's also fumbled the ball 10 times.
Smith, on the other hand, has played well for the San Francisco 49ers, completing 70 percent of his passes while tossing 13 touchdowns against five interceptions. He's fumbled just four times this season and has a QB rating of 104.1. In fact, the only reason Smith would even be available is the emergence of Colin Kaepernick, a second-round pick who coach Jim Harbaugh seems to favor.
While Vick and Smith will not be the only players available to the Cardinals, they seem to be the most intriguing and most different.
"Here's what it comes down to," ESPN's Mike Golic said. "Some coaches go the safe route, some are willing to take the chance.
"With these two quarterbacks, we know what that is. Alex Smith is the safe route and Michael Vick is the chance."
Golic added that NFL head coaches have egos, which is not surprising, but noted it could lead someone to think they'll be rewarded for taking a risk on a talent like him.
"Even though Vick hasn't shown a whole lot as of late and doesn't make it through seasons, there are coaches that say 'I can get us to win with him.'"
Golic said someone with potential like Vick "puts stars in coaches' eyes," and he admitted a player like Smith works best when you have excellent talent around him.
"You have to have a better running game, Arizona doesn't have that," he said. "You have to have a great defense. Arizona has a good defense, not a great defense."
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?