Updated Dec 4, 2012 - 12:15 pm
ESPN analyst says Fitzgerald is frustrated, but 'sold out' for Cardinals
Carter caught 1,101 passes over his 16-year career, which was spent with the Philadelphia Eagles, Minnesota Vikings and Miami Dolphins.
He was one of the best receivers in the game, though he has not caught a pass since retiring after the 2002 season.
And yet, Fitzgerald caught just one more pass than Carter did this past Sunday.
"He is not our typical wide receiver but he's very frustrated, though," Carter told ESPN's Mike & Mike Tuesday morning.
Fitzgerald is having one of the worst seasons of his career, and is on pace to catch just 75 passes for 867 yards and five touchdowns. He's been held to five catches over the last three games -- on 26 targets -- and his team is riding an eight-game losing streak.
"There's no greater competitor in the National Football League than Larry Fitzgerald," Carter said. "There is no wide receiver who likes to look good better than Larry Fitzgerald.
"There is no guy who wants to get the ball and loves seeing himself get the ball to affect the overall outcome of the game."
He has been unable to do that this season, largely through no fault of his own. Fitzgerald has caught passes from three different quarterbacks in 2012 as the Cardinals have searched for someone to replace Kurt Warner.
There is no end in sight to the quest, and Carter said Fitzgerald knew this was possible. That said, the analyst noted his friend is not looking to leave the desert.
"He is very, very frustrated, but he is sold out for the Cardinals," Carter said. "That's his team, that's where he's going to make his home, that's where he's going to live his life."
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.