Updated Dec 6, 2012 - 3:34 pm
ESPN's Clayton: Firing Whisenhunt would be a mistake
However, with his team mired in an eight-game losing streak, many think it's time for the Cardinals to part with their head coach.
ESPN NFL insider John Clayton is not of that school of thought.
"The mistake would be to let him go," Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday.
Clayton said Whisenhunt has proven to be a successful coach when given a quality quarterback, which he has not had since Kurt Warner retired following the 2009 season.
Arizona's post-Warner struggles have led Whisenhunt's record as head coach to dip to 44-48, and after three straight years of missing the playoffs, it's possible the coach's best times in the desert are behind him.
And while Clayton admitted he does not understand why Whisenhunt replaced John Skelton with Ryan Lindley a few weeks ago in Atlanta, he remains steadfast with his belief a coaching change would be one of the worst things the Cardinals could do.
"The mistake would be letting this coach go," he said. "He's too good of a coach, he knows offense, players play for him."
While Horton has done a great job with the Cardinals' defense, Clayton says the 52-year-old is not quite ready to run a team.
"I think it'd be too quick to make a move," he said of Horton being promoted. "He's only been a coordinator a year and 12 weeks, and I think you settle into that role and you try to at least put more time in.
"If you rush to a job you may not necessarily be successful."
Clayton said too many owners these days are willing to take chances on coordinators with hope they can learn how to be a head coach while already on the job.
"That would be the case with Ray."
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.