Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 11:47 am
The burning question: Did the Cardinals quit?
Maybe the repeated losing during a nine-game losing streak was too much to take, and the Cardinals just took their ball and went home.
One such person is Larry Fitzgerald, Sr., father of woefully underused Cardinals wide receiver and writer for the Minneapolis Spokesman-Recorder. Fitzgerald offered up this at halftime of the Cardinals' loss on Twitter:
Pathetic performance by Arizona Cardinals.38-0 Seahawks!8-5 Cardinals loss 9 straight can't do anything right.They beat this team week 1!— Larry Fitzgerald Sr. (@FitzBeatSr) December 9, 2012
It's a serious charge, no doubt, especially when it implicates highly-paid professional athletes. One Cardinal, defensive lineman Nick Eason, did refute the accusations on Twitter:
@decaboto says we are quitters. We didnt quit. We didnt execute and make plays. It' was our worse game ever. It was embarrassing.— Nick Eason (@njeason) December 10, 2012
Embattled head coach Ken Whisenhunt also talked about that very topic at his Monday press conference.
"It wasn't effort (Sunday)," when explaining what the issues were. "It was technique, it was gap fits and you've got to give Seattle credit, they played hard but we had more mistakes defensively than we've had this whole year and when you go against a team like that, you know you can't do that.
"In watching the tape, it wasn't effort from our guys, it was mistakes, and that's not making plays."
The 58-point loss was the worst in Cardinals' history and was also the highest single-game point output in Seattle history.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.