Updated Dec 10, 2012 - 1:29 pm
Whisenhunt on job status: 'I control what I can control'
The organization hasn't been shy about letting go of a head coach following an embarrassing defeat. After Arizona was routed 48-7 by the Dallas Cowboys back in October 2000, team president Bill Bidwill and general manager Bob Ferguson fired head coach Vince Tobin a day later and replaced him with defensive coordinator Dave McGinnis.
While Whisenhunt didn't suffer the same fate Monday, he was asked about his job status and the relationship he has with team management.
"I've talked to Michael [Bidwill] every day," Whisenhunt said. "We talk about all kinds of things. You know I control what I can control.
"Like I said, I understand this business and I have a job to do. I feel disappointed we haven't done it."
With their loss on Sunday, the Cardinals have now been eliminated from postseason contention for the third consecutive year. And while Whisenhunt built up plenty of goodwill within the organization after leading the Cardinals to back-to-back division titles in 2008 and 2009, that seems like an afterthought these days in the midst of a nine-game losing streak.
Although it would be easy for the Cardinals coach to deflect the negative attention he and his woeful team have garnered around the Valley in recent weeks, Whisenhunt admitted Monday that the fans deserve better.
"My greatest disappointment is for our fans," said Whisenhunt. "They've been so good to me and to us. I feel like I've let them down from not being able to do what we wanted to do."
After the 2012 season, Whisenhunt still has one year remaining on his current contract for $5.5 million.
In 93 games as Arizona's head coach, Whisenhunt is 44-49.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Wednesday December 11Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Wednesday December 11The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines