Arizona Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt not worried about job security
The Arizona Cardinals may have suffered a franchise-worst 58-0 loss to the Seattle Seahawks and saw their winless streak extended to nine games, but ownership is backing head coach Ken Whisenhunt in the face of adversity.
Team president Michael Bidwill announced Monday Whisenhunt isn't going anywhere -- for now. He said the Cardinals will have Whisenhunt coach the remaining games this season and make a decision about next year at a later date.
The Cardinals' head coach joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Monday and said he wasn't worried walking off the field Sunday that he had coached his final game with Arizona.
"There's a lot of speculation out there about things and that's the way the NFL is," Whisenhunt said. "I am not na´ve to think that's not going to happen. I understand that that's a part of it but I am still going to do my job and work hard and believe in what I am doing."
Rumors have been running rampant about Whisenhunt's job security of late and after such a historically bad performance Sunday, it seemed his fate may have been sealed. Despite a reprieve, he knows the chatter about his future in Arizona will remain a hot button issue, especially if the team continues to struggle.
But, Whisenhunt said he doesn't have control over what will happen in the future, instead he is focused on leading the Cardinals back into the win column.
"Hasn't changed anything about the way I prepare or what I believe in," Whisenhunt stated. "I can't control anything about that other than what we do on the field, the way we approach it with our players and what you've done as far as handling yourself in trying to prepare the best way possible. Those kinds of things [rumors] are not in my control."
Whisenhunt believes wholeheartedly in his system and the way he and his coaching staff go about their work.
"When I talk about a system we're not talking about schemes, running players, we're talking about how we prepare, how we work, the type of players that we bring in here," Whisenhunt explained. "This has been a tough year. We've had a number of injuries at critical spots, we're playing with a number of different players and that makes it tough."
Despite the trials and tribulations of this football season, Whisenhunt isn't placing any blame.
"I am not going to sit here and make excuses for it because in the NFL nobody really cares," Whisenhunt said.
The Cardinals' head coach talked of the success the team has had in the past operating under this system, and he said he has complete confidence they are coaching the right way.
"Ultimately, you know that everything that you've gone through in the years before -- in preparation, in what you're doing and had the success that you've had, you know that that works," Whisenhunt stated.
He brought success to the franchise early in his tenure with the team, leading Arizona to its only Super Bowl appearance in 2008. But since then, Whisenhunt has amassed a mediocre 44-49 record in six seasons at the helm of the Cardinals.
Arizona has also failed to resolve their quarterback quandary under Whisenhunt, lending credence to the belief that a change should be made.
While, Whisenhunt and the Cardinals will have to wait to see what next year holds, it's clear the team's coach hasn't lost faith that he can fix things and turn this franchise around.
"Of course I believe that we can do it and we can win," Whisenhunt said. "We can do things the right way."
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Larry Fitzgerald celebrity softball game this Saturday
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- Arizona Cardinals' Terry McDonough: Emotion not a good tool for evaluating draft talent
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?