Mock Draft: McShay has Cardinals taking quarterback
That's the boat Arizona Cardinals fans are in. And considering the woeful play the team has gotten from the quarterback position during the skid, fans will be happy with what ESPN/Scouts, Inc. draft expert Todd McShay has Arizona doing in his very early 2013 mock draft.
McShay has the Cardinals tabbing West Virginia signal caller Geno Smith with the eighth overall selection.
There is still a lot of work to do on the top quarterbacks, but the question at this point is how high a team will reach for the top player a the position. It's easy to argue the Cardinals need a quarterback as badly as any team in the NFL right now, and when Smith is on, his mechanics, footwork and confidence make him an effective passer.
Smith got off to a tremendous start in 2012, throwing for 1,996 yards with 24 touchdown passes and zero interceptions during the Mountaineers' 5-0 start. West Virginia finished the season 7-5 and Smith ended up throwing 40 touchdowns and finished fifth in the nation in passing efficiency.
Smith stands 6-foot-3 and weighs 214 pounds -- decent size for an NFL signal caller. McShay currently has Smith ranked as the top quarterback in the 2013 draft crop and 23rd-ranked player overall.
The Cardinals last drafted a quarterback in the first round in 2006, when they nabbed USC's Matt Leinart with the tenth overall pick.
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals 26th in future power rankings
- Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
- Cardinals coach Bruce Arians on Daryl Washington: 'He's walking a very thin line'
- Patriots TE Gronkowski undergoes back surgery
- Cardinals rookie class to be recognized before D-backs game
- Impromptu Power Poll: Tim Tebow - Monday June 10Doug & Wolf's top 5 reasons why the Patriots signed Tim Tebow.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br