Updated Dec 13, 2012 - 1:27 pm
ESPN analyst: 'You better get your QB first and foremost'
The Cardinals lost to the Seahawks by a score of 58-0. They turned the ball over eight times and gained 154 yards of total offense.
"When you get games like this, they're literally impossible to explain," Jaworski said.
The Cardinals' quarterback situation plays a role, though, as both John Skelton and Ryan Lindley struggled to do anything positive in Arizona's ninth-straight loss.
"It seems to be a continuation of a problem that has existed for years," Jaworski said.
The analyst noted how this is the time of year when discussions turn to which coaches are on the hot seat and which are likely on their way out. However, he believes it's not so much about the guy calling the plays as the one executing them on the field.
Indeed, a top-flight quarterback can make a coach look good, just as struggles at the position could make a good coach look bad.
"If you don't have that guy, if you don't find that guy, if you don't make the total commitment to get that guy you have no chance for long-term success," Jaworski said. "You might get lucky every once in a while and have a good year, but long-term success depends on a consistent, rock-solid guy under center."
The Cardinals would seem to fit the bill, as they got "lucky" with Kurt Warner but have struggled to find a replacement since the former MVP retired in January 2010.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?