Updated Dec 21, 2012 - 11:31 am
ESPN insider on Whisenhunt: Shouldn't be fired, but might be
At that point the franchise will have some important decisions to make, not the least of which is what to do at head coach.
Do they keep Ken Whisenhunt, who in six seasons with the team has won a pair of NFC West titles and taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Or do they fire a coach whose career record is 45-49, and has gone just 18-28 over the last three seasons?
They are the same guy, after all.
"The realization that [Whisenhunt's] entering the last year of his contract, when you start to do that then you start to say 'OK, is it time to do the extension,'" ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And if they don't do the extension and they start to review things and look at this season there might very well be a change."
"I think it'd be a mistake because I think he's too good of a coach to let go, but I think you can understand the circumstances."
"Those things, unfortunately, are going to be held against him," Clayton said. "Should he be fired? No. Will he be fired? Maybe."
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.