Updated Dec 21, 2012 - 11:31 am
ESPN insider on Whisenhunt: Shouldn't be fired, but might be
At that point the franchise will have some important decisions to make, not the least of which is what to do at head coach.
Do they keep Ken Whisenhunt, who in six seasons with the team has won a pair of NFC West titles and taken the Cardinals to the Super Bowl? Or do they fire a coach whose career record is 45-49, and has gone just 18-28 over the last three seasons?
They are the same guy, after all.
"The realization that [Whisenhunt's] entering the last year of his contract, when you start to do that then you start to say 'OK, is it time to do the extension,'" ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "And if they don't do the extension and they start to review things and look at this season there might very well be a change."
"I think it'd be a mistake because I think he's too good of a coach to let go, but I think you can understand the circumstances."
"Those things, unfortunately, are going to be held against him," Clayton said. "Should he be fired? No. Will he be fired? Maybe."
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- House of Cards Camp Awards - Friday August 22Doug & Wolf announce the winners of the 2014 House of Cards Camp Awards.
- Max Starks, Cardinals offenisve lineman - Friday August 22Cardinals offensive lineman Max Starks is excited to be reunited with Bruce Arians.
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals president - Friday August 22Michael Bidwill discusses preparing for the Super Bowl without the help of the City of Glendale.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.