Updated Dec 22, 2012 - 1:15 pm
Ryan Lindley holds dubious distinction, still looking for first TD pass
Take for instance last Sunday's 38-10 win by the Arizona Cardinals over the Detroit Lions. The victory snapped a season-high nine-game losing streak, but was largely the product of another tremendous performance by Arizona's defense (forced four turnovers, two returned for touchdowns).
Making his third career start in the contest, quarterback Ryan Lindley was rather uninspiring, throwing for 104 yards, to go along with one interception and no touchdown passes. Most of the offense was generated by an opportunistic defense, and Beanie Wells seemed to handle the rest of the load (career-high three touchdowns) in the red zone.
In fact, Lindley has yet to throw a touchdown in his first four career appearances, forcing some to wonder if he can even notch the career milestone in 2012.
According to ESPN Stats and Info, no quarterback since 2001 has thrown 91 passes or more in a season without connecting for at least one touchdown.
And as ESPN's NFC West blogger Mike Sando pointed out Saturday, Lindley currently holds the NFL record for most passes in a season (141) without a touchdown pass.
Lindley isn't alone though. Former Cardinal Matt Leinart also had a similar run of futility in 2009, failing to throw a touchdown in his first 77 attempts.
The task won't get any easier for the former sixth-round pick over the final two weeks of the 2012 season. Arizona faces two of the top six pass defenses in the league in Week 16 (Chicago Bears) and Week 17 (San Franciso 49ers).
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.