Arizona Cardinals' Campbell confident defense can stop the run
The Arizona Cardinals defense has been the continual bright spot in an overall dismal season in 2012.
But while Ray Horton's squad has earned accolades week after week for their impressive pass defense that ranks among the best in the league, they have also received criticism for their struggles containing the run this year.
Cards' defensive end Calais Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday the team's defense against the run has indeed been a mixed bag, but he feels if the unit can stay focused they are bound to have success.
"It's been kind of hit or miss," Campbell said. "Some games we play very well against the run and some games we let teams get going on us. A lot of it is the games where people get a little frustrated and we're trying to press and too many guys are trying to do more than just our job."
Horton's pass defense has been so good teams have figured out their best chance to beat them is to run the ball early and often. Campbell expects to see the Chicago Bears do just that on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I think [the Bears] are going to run a lot more," Campbell stated. "I think the mentality is run the ball down our throats and then try to take it up over the top with Brandon Marshall."
Chicago boasts a very balanced offensive attack, including a strong back in Matt Forte, who is expected to see his fair share of carries.
"[Forte's] a really good running back in this league and if you let him get going he can really beat you," Campbell stated.
The Cardinals utilize a 3-4 attacking defense and if they execute properly Campbell believes they can shut down the run. They will certainly have a tall task ahead of them if they hope to upset the Bears.
But despite a trying year, Campbell said the Cardinals' defense has managed to take away some positives to build upon for next season.
"I think we just have the right kind of guys who understand how the game is and I think if we keep this group together next year we might be able to make a good run for it," Campbell said.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.