Arizona Cardinals' Campbell confident defense can stop the run
The Arizona Cardinals defense has been the continual bright spot in an overall dismal season in 2012.
But while Ray Horton's squad has earned accolades week after week for their impressive pass defense that ranks among the best in the league, they have also received criticism for their struggles containing the run this year.
Cards' defensive end Calais Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Friday the team's defense against the run has indeed been a mixed bag, but he feels if the unit can stay focused they are bound to have success.
"It's been kind of hit or miss," Campbell said. "Some games we play very well against the run and some games we let teams get going on us. A lot of it is the games where people get a little frustrated and we're trying to press and too many guys are trying to do more than just our job."
Horton's pass defense has been so good teams have figured out their best chance to beat them is to run the ball early and often. Campbell expects to see the Chicago Bears do just that on Sunday at University of Phoenix Stadium.
"I think [the Bears] are going to run a lot more," Campbell stated. "I think the mentality is run the ball down our throats and then try to take it up over the top with Brandon Marshall."
Chicago boasts a very balanced offensive attack, including a strong back in Matt Forte, who is expected to see his fair share of carries.
"[Forte's] a really good running back in this league and if you let him get going he can really beat you," Campbell stated.
The Cardinals utilize a 3-4 attacking defense and if they execute properly Campbell believes they can shut down the run. They will certainly have a tall task ahead of them if they hope to upset the Bears.
But despite a trying year, Campbell said the Cardinals' defense has managed to take away some positives to build upon for next season.
"I think we just have the right kind of guys who understand how the game is and I think if we keep this group together next year we might be able to make a good run for it," Campbell said.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.