Updated Dec 23, 2012 - 7:38 pm
Larry Fitzgerald finally reaches century mark for Cardinals in loss
Fitzgerald, whose struggles this year have been well-documented, caught a game-best eight passes for 111 yards in Sunday's 28-13 loss to the Chicago Bears.
That Fitzgerald has only reached the century mark twice this season is alarming, but that he was able to do it Sunday was of little consequence to the receiver.
After all, his day came in a losing effort.
"It's been a long season," Fitzgerald said after the game. "Whenever I can make a play and make an impact I try to do it. Today some things opened up we were able to make some plays.
"But it didn't equate to a win so it's all for nothing."
It's been that kind of year for Fitzgerald and the Cardinals, who turned to recently-signed Brian Hoyer in the second half Sunday. He is the fourth quarterback Fitzgerald has caught a pass from this season, and if anyone was wondering where things have gone wrong, one would need look no further than the most important position in sports.
Oh, and turnovers, too.
Arizona coughed up the football three times Sunday, with two of the miscues being returned for Chicago touchdowns. With an offense struggling as bad as the Cardinals' is, those are things that just cannot happen.
"Anytime you spot a really good football team points it's tough to overcome those things," Fitzgerald said.
And the Cardinals, when given opportunities to make something happen on offense, continually fell short.
Twice Arizona began a drive in Chicago territory, but just once did the Cardinals come away with points. And even then, it was just three courtesy of a Jay Feely field goal.
"Whenever we get the ball in that down and distance with a short field," Fitzgerald said. "We've got to get points on the board."
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.