Updated Dec 25, 2012 - 9:33 am
Whisenhunt: No sense of relief that season is ending
From a nine-game losing streak to a historic 58-0 loss to a never-ending carousel at quarterback, Whisenhunt's resolve has certainly been tested over the first 15 games of the season. Yet even as the Cardinals are just days away from saying goodbye to a forgettable campaign, Whisenhunt doesn't want it to end.
"Even though it's tough, the competition drives you, wanting to get better and wanting to do things the right way in order to have success," Whisenhunt said Monday. "If you aren't competitive you shouldn't be in here. And if [losing] doesn't bother you, you shouldn't be doing this.
"Will there be a sense of relief? No. The first thing I'm going to think about [when it ends] is that we don't have a chance to keep going and get it better, get it fixed."
With the team sitting at 5-10 -- its worst record under Whisenhunt -- speculation has grown in recent weeks as to whether he, his coaching staff and many notable players will even have a chance to get things fixed next season. But playing against a divisional rival who still has plenty on the line, Whisenhunt said there's no chance his team would pack it in against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 17.
"That's really about desire and character, and having the right guys," said Whisenhunt. "As tough of a stretch as we've been through here the last couple years, [packing it in] has never been an issue.
"You always hear that about players having their cars running that last game, but I don't have that concern with our guys. Not with what they've shown on the field."
Although Whisenhunt isn't worried about his team's mentality when they take the field Sunday in the Bay Area, the question still remains as to who will take the field at quarterback against the 49ers. As of Monday afternoon, Arizona's head coach was still undecided as to who would get the nod against one of the top-ranked defenses in the NFL.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?