Updated Dec 25, 2012 - 10:08 am
Rhodes: 2012 season has been 'mentally draining'
But individual accomplishments only go so far for a player with Rhodes' NFL experience. After getting a chance to taste postseason play in 2009 when the New York Jets made it to the AFC Championship game, Rhodes admittedly doesn't want to settle for anything less at this point in his career.
With the Cardinals sitting at 5-10 with only one game remaining this season, it seems Rhodes will begrudgingly have to head to the off-season several weeks earlier than he had originally planned.
And on Monday, he let his feelings be known about the team's underwhelming season to date.
"It's mentally draining more than anything," Rhodes said. "When you go through a season like this, your aches hurt a little more and your body doesn't feel as good. It takes a toll on you in every way possible."
While Rhodes' tremendous season has certainly aided the Cardinals' defense -- ranked No. 4 in the NFL in takeaways -- it will all be for naught in 2012, as the team is headed to its third straight campaign without a winning record.
The former Louisville star candidly said that going through a season like the Cardinals are currently enduring has even made it tough for him when he leaves his day job behind.
"Even at home, you don't enjoy being at home," said Rhodes. "It's just tough."
If there is a silver lining to Arizona's woeful season, it's that Rhodes and Co. still have the opportunity to keep the San Francisco 49ers from winning the NFC West division -- something that looked like an absolute certainty just a month ago.
"The important thing for us [as a defense] this week is to continue playing like we have been playing," said Rhodes. "Play strong, try to fight and get a win.
"You put yourself on tape every week, that's how you get judged. So for us, it's important to come out and play well."
Rhodes is currently under contract through 2013, but in recent weeks it's been reported that he and the organization are in the process of working out terms for a two-year extension.
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.