Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 10:06 am
NFL.com prediction: Ken Whisenhunt out in Arizona
Come Monday, Ken Whisenhunt's tenure as the team's head coach may end, too.
Barring an upset against the 49ers the Cardinals will finish the season with a 5-11 record -- their second such mark in the last three seasons -- with many believing the only coach to lead the franchise to the Super Bowl will be out of work.
Included in that group is NFL.com's Adam Schein, who wrote a piece about what is known as "Black Monday".
Whisenhunt is a very good coach. If Arizona had held on to beat Pittsburgh in Super Bowl XLIII, there would be a Ken Whisenhunt statue outside of the Cardinals' stadium. Personally, I wouldn't fire Whisenhunt.
But this season has been an embarrassment. The quarterback situation is between sad and laughable, and Whisenhunt hasn't handled it well. The no-show against the Seattle Seahawks was alarming. They are wasting Larry Fitzgerald and a talented defense.
The educated guess: Whisenhunt is let go, and defensive coordinator Ray Horton takes over as head coach.
The common theme from most "experts" is that Whisenhunt is a good coach who has done a poor job the last few years. His first three years in the desert led to 27 wins and two playoff appearences, while his last three have seen the team win just 18 games. In all, Whisenhunt has a 45-50 mark with the Cardinals.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.