Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 10:53 am
Did Patrick Peterson steal Richard Sherman's Pro Bowl spot?
A second-year pro, Peterson has picked off seven passes while collecting 53 tackles. He's been regularly matched up with the opponent's best receiver, and for the most part done an excellent job keeping them in check.
Peterson's effort this season was rewarded with a spot in the Pro Bowl, his second trip in as many seasons (first as a cornerback).
NFL.com's Greg Rosenthal believes the former first-round pick has been fine, but should not be heading to Hawaii. Instead, he believes Seattle's Richard Sherman should have gotten the nod.
It's an absolute joke that Patrick Peterson made the NFC team over Sherman. Peterson is a very talented cornerback and improved this season for the Arizona Cardinals, but his play was too up and down. We'd also put Antoine Winfield on the team over Tim Jennings or Peterson, although Jennings was plenty worthy.
A second-year pro himself, Sherman has tallied 61 tackles to go with seven interceptions this season. One of the best corners in the game, he recently won an appeal for what would have been a suspension due to use of performance-enhancing drugs. A case can certainly be made for Sherman's inclusion on the NFC roster, and that he wasn't is a bit of a shame.
ProFootballFocus.com ranks the former Stanford Cardinal second among cornerbacks, whereas the Arizona Cardinal Peterson comes in at 14th.
The players have comparable stats, though Sherman's team has been far more successful than Peterson's. Did the PED allegations play a role in the Seahawk being snubbed? Perhaps.
But either way it is Peterson who will be representing the NFC in Honolulu.
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!