Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 10:53 am
Did Patrick Peterson steal Richard Sherman's Pro Bowl spot?
A second-year pro, Peterson has picked off seven passes while collecting 53 tackles. He's been regularly matched up with the opponent's best receiver, and for the most part done an excellent job keeping them in check.
Peterson's effort this season was rewarded with a spot in the Pro Bowl, his second trip in as many seasons (first as a cornerback).
NFL.com's Greg Rosenthal believes the former first-round pick has been fine, but should not be heading to Hawaii. Instead, he believes Seattle's Richard Sherman should have gotten the nod.
It's an absolute joke that Patrick Peterson made the NFC team over Sherman. Peterson is a very talented cornerback and improved this season for the Arizona Cardinals, but his play was too up and down. We'd also put Antoine Winfield on the team over Tim Jennings or Peterson, although Jennings was plenty worthy.
A second-year pro himself, Sherman has tallied 61 tackles to go with seven interceptions this season. One of the best corners in the game, he recently won an appeal for what would have been a suspension due to use of performance-enhancing drugs. A case can certainly be made for Sherman's inclusion on the NFC roster, and that he wasn't is a bit of a shame.
ProFootballFocus.com ranks the former Stanford Cardinal second among cornerbacks, whereas the Arizona Cardinal Peterson comes in at 14th.
The players have comparable stats, though Sherman's team has been far more successful than Peterson's. Did the PED allegations play a role in the Seahawk being snubbed? Perhaps.
But either way it is Peterson who will be representing the NFC in Honolulu.
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.