Updated Dec 28, 2012 - 1:50 pm
Cardinals to replace Whisenhunt and pursue Andy Reid?
One of the questions people ask, though, is if the Cardinals do indeed fire their coach of the last six seasons, who will they get to replace him?
Sports Illustrated's Don Banks wrote that Arizona's "collapse after a 4-0 start this season is expected to lead to head coach Ken Whisenhunt and the team parting ways," while also noting that general manager Rod Graves is not expected to retain his role.
But it's who he speculates could come to the Valley that's interesting.
The Cardinals could choose to pursue Reid as their next head coach, and Reid probably has Arizona on the list of clubs he's most interested in. After all, he would be reunited with quarterback Kevin Kolb, the former Eagle who was dealt to Arizona in 2011, and there is talent on the defensive side of the Cardinals' roster.
But again, Reid's salary level might deter Arizona. Plus, the Cardinals have gone that route before, hiring big-name former playoff-qualifying head coaches a couple times in the relatively recent past, without great results (see Buddy Ryan and Dennis Green).
Banks goes on to note the Cardinals may just decide to promote defensive coordinator Ray Horton to the head coach role while making vice president/player personnel Steve Keim the new general manager.
But it's the point about Reid that is most interesting.
The current Eagles coach has spent the last 14 seasons in Philadelphia, posting a 130-92-1 mark. His teams have posted a 19-10 postseason record, and reached Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.
He wouldn't come cheap, though, and the Eagles' struggles over the last couple seasons have put a damper on the 54-year-old's résumé.
- Patrick Peterson ranked below Richard Sherman, but Antonio Cromartie also on list of best CBs
- The Pulse: Ellington most likely to be face of franchise among Valley's young talent
- NFL.com: Ellington could 'make the leap' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu says recovery is going well
- NFL.com's Brooks: Larry Fitzgerald still has the best hands in the NFL
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday June 18Kurt Warner appears headed for the Cardinals' Ring of Honor.
- Warren Moon, Hall of Fame quarterback - Tuesday June 17Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon discusses the Marshawn Lynch situation.