Cardinals to replace Whisenhunt and pursue Andy Reid?
One of the questions people ask, though, is if the Cardinals do indeed fire their coach of the last six seasons, who will they get to replace him?
Sports Illustrated's Don Banks wrote that Arizona's "collapse after a 4-0 start this season is expected to lead to head coach Ken Whisenhunt and the team parting ways," while also noting that general manager Rod Graves is not expected to retain his role.
But it's who he speculates could come to the Valley that's interesting.
The Cardinals could choose to pursue Reid as their next head coach, and Reid probably has Arizona on the list of clubs he's most interested in. After all, he would be reunited with quarterback Kevin Kolb, the former Eagle who was dealt to Arizona in 2011, and there is talent on the defensive side of the Cardinals' roster.
But again, Reid's salary level might deter Arizona. Plus, the Cardinals have gone that route before, hiring big-name former playoff-qualifying head coaches a couple times in the relatively recent past, without great results (see Buddy Ryan and Dennis Green).
Banks goes on to note the Cardinals may just decide to promote defensive coordinator Ray Horton to the head coach role while making vice president/player personnel Steve Keim the new general manager.
But it's the point about Reid that is most interesting.
The current Eagles coach has spent the last 14 seasons in Philadelphia, posting a 130-92-1 mark. His teams have posted a 19-10 postseason record, and reached Super Bowl XXXIX in 2004.
He wouldn't come cheap, though, and the Eagles' struggles over the last couple seasons have put a damper on the 54-year-old's résumé.
- Karlos Dansby, Cardinals linebacker - Friday May 10Dansby tells Doug & Wolf how excited he is to be back and how he plans to contribute
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals defensive end - Monday May 6Big #93 talks to the guys about the new coaching staff and becoming more of a leader
- Calais Campbell, Cardinals DE - Friday May 3Campbell talks about his inaugural charity golf tournament debuting this weekend. Also, he gives his
- Andre Ellington, Cardinals RB - Thursday May 2Arizona's 6th round pick joins the show to reminisce on his college career and talk about what he br
- Earl Watford, Cardinals 4th Round Selection - Wednesday May 1Earl Watford talked to Doug & Wolf about his strengths and being drafted out of a small school.