Updated Dec 30, 2012 - 11:10 am
Insider: Arizona Cardinals to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt
After surveying with execs, team sources and agents, there is a strong expectation that Andy Reid (Eagles), Norv Turner (Chargers), Romeo Crennel (Chiefs), Pat Shurmur (Browns), Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) and Mike Mularkey (Jacksonville) will be out shortly after the season ends.
Of that group, La Canfora went on to speculate that Whisenhunt is not one of four coaches certain to go after Sunday's final day of regular season games, but it still doesn't look good for Arizona's sixth-year head coach.
In six seasons, Whisenhunt has led the Cardinals to two postseason appearances, including a Super Bowl berth during the 2008 season. However, regardless of how Sunday's game at San Francisco turns out, Arizona will have missed the postseason for three consecutive seasons.
Although Whisenhunt is just 45-50 in 95 career games with the Cardinals, La Canfora said it's likely he would get a few interviews around the league for head coaching vacancies.
CBS' NFL Insider didn't stop at Whisenhunt, though. La Canfora also reported that the team is mulling over where or not to fire general manager Rod Graves, but if they do his replacement will likely come internally.
Graves has been with the Cardinals since 1997 and helped the team reach unparalleled heights with a recent Super Bowl appearance. The Bidwell family has long appreciated his work but assistant general manager Steve Keim is also seen as a rising star. He was promoted last year, and sources said he is being considered for the general managers title there.
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b