Updated Dec 30, 2012 - 11:10 am
Insider: Arizona Cardinals to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt
After surveying with execs, team sources and agents, there is a strong expectation that Andy Reid (Eagles), Norv Turner (Chargers), Romeo Crennel (Chiefs), Pat Shurmur (Browns), Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) and Mike Mularkey (Jacksonville) will be out shortly after the season ends.
Of that group, La Canfora went on to speculate that Whisenhunt is not one of four coaches certain to go after Sunday's final day of regular season games, but it still doesn't look good for Arizona's sixth-year head coach.
In six seasons, Whisenhunt has led the Cardinals to two postseason appearances, including a Super Bowl berth during the 2008 season. However, regardless of how Sunday's game at San Francisco turns out, Arizona will have missed the postseason for three consecutive seasons.
Although Whisenhunt is just 45-50 in 95 career games with the Cardinals, La Canfora said it's likely he would get a few interviews around the league for head coaching vacancies.
CBS' NFL Insider didn't stop at Whisenhunt, though. La Canfora also reported that the team is mulling over where or not to fire general manager Rod Graves, but if they do his replacement will likely come internally.
Graves has been with the Cardinals since 1997 and helped the team reach unparalleled heights with a recent Super Bowl appearance. The Bidwell family has long appreciated his work but assistant general manager Steve Keim is also seen as a rising star. He was promoted last year, and sources said he is being considered for the general managers title there.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?