Updated Dec 30, 2012 - 11:10 am
Insider: Arizona Cardinals to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt
After surveying with execs, team sources and agents, there is a strong expectation that Andy Reid (Eagles), Norv Turner (Chargers), Romeo Crennel (Chiefs), Pat Shurmur (Browns), Ken Whisenhunt (Cardinals) and Mike Mularkey (Jacksonville) will be out shortly after the season ends.
Of that group, La Canfora went on to speculate that Whisenhunt is not one of four coaches certain to go after Sunday's final day of regular season games, but it still doesn't look good for Arizona's sixth-year head coach.
In six seasons, Whisenhunt has led the Cardinals to two postseason appearances, including a Super Bowl berth during the 2008 season. However, regardless of how Sunday's game at San Francisco turns out, Arizona will have missed the postseason for three consecutive seasons.
Although Whisenhunt is just 45-50 in 95 career games with the Cardinals, La Canfora said it's likely he would get a few interviews around the league for head coaching vacancies.
CBS' NFL Insider didn't stop at Whisenhunt, though. La Canfora also reported that the team is mulling over where or not to fire general manager Rod Graves, but if they do his replacement will likely come internally.
Graves has been with the Cardinals since 1997 and helped the team reach unparalleled heights with a recent Super Bowl appearance. The Bidwell family has long appreciated his work but assistant general manager Steve Keim is also seen as a rising star. He was promoted last year, and sources said he is being considered for the general managers title there.
- ESPN's Brock Huard says Seattle Seahawks' vulnerabilities are running game, penalties
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals - Dec. 20
- Double Coverage: Arizona Cardinals vs. Seattle Seahawks
- Marshawn Lynch presents another big challenge for Arizona Cardinals defense
- The biggest story was Carson Palmer, and here's why
- Brock Huard, ESPN Seattle analyst - Friday December 20Huard joins Burns & Gambo to talk about this Sundays Cardinals and Seahwaks game.
- Kurt Warner, former Cardinals QB - Friday December 20Kurt Warner talks about the improving Carson Palmer and the Cards' chances of making the playoffs.
- Wolf's 5 Star Games - Friday December 20Wolf gives his top 5 NFL games for this weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 20Wolf gives factors in the Cardinals upcoming game in Seattle.
- Michael Bidwell, President AZ Cardinals - Friday December 20The AZ Cardinals President discusses the upcoming game in Seattle.