Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 2:20 pm
Cardinals ask permission to interview Denver's Mike McCoy
The Cardinals, along with the Chicago Bears, have asked for permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the vacant position.
McCoy, 40, has spent 13 seasons as an NFL assistant, including the last four as the architect of the Denver Broncos' offense. This season, with Peyton Manning at the controls, the Broncos ranked fourth in the NFL in total offense (397.9 yards per game) and second in points per game (30.1). Denver is riding an 11-game winning streak heading into the postseason as the AFC's top seed.
But maybe more impressively, McCoy helped Denver to the playoffs last season with Tim Tebow at quarterback. McCoy helped devise a system to take advantage of Tebow's skill set and the team rebounded from a 2-5 start to go 8-8, win the AFC West, and defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
According to Schefter's report, McCoy will interview with the Cardinals this weekend, as Denver has a bye week for the first round of the postseason.
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.