Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 2:20 pm
Cardinals ask permission to interview Denver's Mike McCoy
The Cardinals, along with the Chicago Bears, have asked for permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the vacant position.
McCoy, 40, has spent 13 seasons as an NFL assistant, including the last four as the architect of the Denver Broncos' offense. This season, with Peyton Manning at the controls, the Broncos ranked fourth in the NFL in total offense (397.9 yards per game) and second in points per game (30.1). Denver is riding an 11-game winning streak heading into the postseason as the AFC's top seed.
But maybe more impressively, McCoy helped Denver to the playoffs last season with Tim Tebow at quarterback. McCoy helped devise a system to take advantage of Tebow's skill set and the team rebounded from a 2-5 start to go 8-8, win the AFC West, and defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
According to Schefter's report, McCoy will interview with the Cardinals this weekend, as Denver has a bye week for the first round of the postseason.
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.