Updated Dec 31, 2012 - 2:20 pm
Cardinals ask permission to interview Denver's Mike McCoy
The Cardinals, along with the Chicago Bears, have asked for permission to interview Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for the vacant position.
McCoy, 40, has spent 13 seasons as an NFL assistant, including the last four as the architect of the Denver Broncos' offense. This season, with Peyton Manning at the controls, the Broncos ranked fourth in the NFL in total offense (397.9 yards per game) and second in points per game (30.1). Denver is riding an 11-game winning streak heading into the postseason as the AFC's top seed.
But maybe more impressively, McCoy helped Denver to the playoffs last season with Tim Tebow at quarterback. McCoy helped devise a system to take advantage of Tebow's skill set and the team rebounded from a 2-5 start to go 8-8, win the AFC West, and defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.
According to Schefter's report, McCoy will interview with the Cardinals this weekend, as Denver has a bye week for the first round of the postseason.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines